Book Cover # 2

I’ve just finished our second book cover. Whilst the first took some time the second took me only 1 day of actual work (and about 1 day of investigation work). The picture has been smudged to obscure the work-in-progress.

We’ve sent the book to the printers so we can get a draft. When it comes back in a few days time  and if it looks fine then I’ll document the tasks. Personally I’m really pleased about the design when viewed as a PDF, though we haven’t shown this to the author but I’m confident they’ll like the ideas I’ve expressed.

Highlights for this cover are:

  • Guides in both GIMP and Scribus are the Createspace template file that is specific for our book size and page count.
  • Added 2 other photos from our stock and snapped one extra for the “leaf” that is on the cover (picked a leaf and left it to dry to curl up). Scaled and added using different types of effects to merge. I ended up with 10 layers.
  • Boxes added to spine with 80% Normal (i.e. 20% transparency) to make the spine text more readable. You can’t easily use transparency with PDF 1.3 unless you flatten the image so it is easier to flatten in GIMP.
  • Three layers added in Scribus. One layer is the background (from GIMP image), one top layer is guide page and one middle layer is text boxes.
  • Three new fonts: one from Eduardo Recife ( and two from Dieter Steffmann ( ) : these reflect the period and the content. We’re still investigating the usage rights for these fonts but for Dark and/or Gothic then these look very good. Our interior text remains as GaramondNo8 for readability.

I hope the dark black and red colours come through without problems from the printer because this should look awesome in the flesh.

This entry was posted in Books, Design, GIMP, Scribus. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.